There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Film Real

At times I will find myself watching a movie, enjoying it, and then stepping back – either during or shortly after – and assessing how unrealistic certain characters and behaviors are. And then, every now and then, I observe a person in real life that one of these screenwriters must have met or known. If not this person directly, then the sort of carbon copy or cookie cut that exists somewhere. The one we pretend we aren't. There's nobody like me. But no no, Adele will find someone like you.

The creature in question, which is really an unfair characterization because this woman is incredibly nice, is just overflowing with bubbly positivity. Why is it that, when this goes too far, it comes across as neurosis and borderline insanity? Why am I getting so aggravatingly introspective in this here blog of late? Gotta be the winter weather. It's cool, just blame shit. But seriously, every action is so emphatic, from her enunciation of "uh-huh", to the hand motions, the head movement. She is so well-meaning, so honest, and it's so...frightening...And it's a date! Sometimes I'm not sure whether to blame these people for going on coffee shop dates and talking so loud, or to blame myself for going to these places and, well, let's be honest, listening in here and there. I can only take so much before my headphones go in.

Groundhog Day has come and gone, which I'm sure Bill Murray is thrilled about. I guess the little dude out in Pennsylvania saw his shadow and there will continue to be weather for as many days as this planet survives, which is longer than me, so long as those 2012 doomsdayers are incorrect.

But I do like Groundhog Day, even if only for spawning that film. The concept of living the same day with a different consciousness and getting it right, and coming to grips with the monotony and lows of our lives and taking time to focus on some of the right things is great, but I often like to then arrive on the tangent of someone living your day and your life somewhere. Which is why this crazy bitch in this coffee shop can be written about so well by someone who has never met this exact her. She's everywhere, and nowhere.

I'm stoked for the Super Bowl tomorrow, where the best advertisement is sure to be for our love of loafing, drinking, and consuming unhealthy foods while rejoicing in the athleticism of others and, for too many, advertising itself. Since I'm so down on advertising, I'll note that advertisement sounds decidedly less evil if you give it the British pronunciation, a soft 'i' in the middle – tis a way for me to cope.

I can't believe this sweatshirt is already pilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.