There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Circuitousness

Circular is really the more apt terminology to describe how my brain works. But in my circular thought, meandering, and thus circuitousness, can result. It means I often end up responding to my initial question with the question of whether I should have asked my question in the first place.

And while circular reasoning is incredibly aggravating much of the time, because it's how my brain operates naturally, it is where it derives great humor. I can't escape the circular in the literal either, as I spent so many days running around a track and, even when not, every path leads you back to your abode, until you move. So what we're dealing with is a series of circles, sometimes concentric, sometimes merely intersecting and, at the least getting a touch of tangential interaction.

Not long ago I was watching Real Genius, one of my favorite films of all time. The basic plot (of course you could click that link) is Val Kilmer and some other young tech whiz types create a laser that is meant, unbeknownst to them, to allow the government to kill single targets. Released in 1985, Star Wars (not the Lucas flick), was sort of heavy on the brain. And twenty-seven years later, we're damn close to what we were afraid of. Folks aren't being vaporized by a laser, but the drones we're using are damn close. Now this does somewhat violate the tenets of this blog by talking about relevant information, but sometimes it's just not to be avoided. Strangely enough, the author of that article refers to the moral imperative, which Val Kilmer uses in a rather different context in the film referenced. Morality is a tough one.

I'm glad to have to concern myself with whether I should withhold a tip from a shitty server at a restaurant and not whether I should authorize the, well, it has to be called murder pretty much, of dangerous individuals. It's not quite the pre-crime of Minority Report, but you can see where these concepts come from. Far out is a little too close sometimes.


One day, because everyone eats chemicals, the body will reject organic items...or organic will be impossible to exist.

Or when everyone has come over on an organic mandate, chemicals will replace organic as the high-end, sought after, trendy foods.

And the stupid haircuts of myself and others will be so popular that the subversives will have a coif akin to the button-ups of old. But it's hard to escape being buttoned down...

When you ask for a revolution, remember that you end up at the same starting point.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.