There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Odrama

The biggest news story today (and it probably should be) is President Obama's selection as recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Now, upon hearing of BO's taking the prize I have to say I felt the surprise a lot of folks seem to feel. However, Nobel's will states the prize shall be given "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." I don't follow politics — on any level, local, state, national, international — to the extent that I probably should, so I couldn't tell you who would actually have been a much more prime candidate to take home the award. Of course, as has been suggested, Obama might not actually accept the prize and make a benevolent statement about how he will share it with the world.

I can see that happening, but it doesn't have to have attached to it the deeply sarcastic tone that seems to be attached to this newscast from MSNBC. Their tone is entirely negative, and they seem to list the only upside to his victory as the Nobel committee having made suspect selections in the past and befuddling a lot of people with the choice of Obama. Wait, that is the upside? I am pretty sure your statement just made no sense buddy. Honestly, I think there tends to be more controversy over the Maxim/FHM/Other prominent men's magazine's Hot 100 List or People's 50 Most Beautiful.

As I said, I don't follow politics closely and I would be happy to hear who is more deserving than Obama rather than simply making the case that he is, well, undeserving. Waaa...waaa...he didn't deserve it...Okay you genius pundits, who does? No, wait, let's ignore that and say, "Well, he does get over a million dollars for winning it." And then, to dispel the tension, let's have some dolt chime in, "That's pretty good...great contest." Hooray broadcast journalism.

Of the little I have seen in support of the Nobel choice, one citation is Obama's Cairo Speech, the full hour of which is brought to you by the glory of youtube:


Now, I haven't watched it yet, but given the subject matter, I'd say it might qualify for Nobel's "most or best work for fraternity between nations." Unfortunately it took place about four months after nominations were due. Oops...Didn't Obama also pledge to close Guantanamo in the next year? Pledge does differ from action, though. But Hell, don't a lot of foreign countries like the US a lot more now simply without Bush in power? Has Obama instilled them with, dare I reference that campaign slogan, hope?

Mostly I just wanted to cite what a bunch of clowns those MSNBC people were. While the premise of this blog was griping, it was always meant to have a little more humor attached to it. Well, look out for change as I hope to revert back to some old flow and style. I should have lots of good stories once I head over to Paris with Lindsay. Oh yes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.