There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Stupor Bowl

I mean that's what they should call the culmination of the NFL season right, because there is one game for folks to gather round and get universally shit-faced? Or at least eat lots of delicious and snacky foods. Or both. Yeah, okay, I get it, my word play can be aggravating. Pepper in enough puns and you take out all the fun. Routinely I think that "Super Bowl" is one word, but it is in fact two, and trademarked rather extensively, so that many cannot use the word without paying big bucks or getting sued.

Though I do enjoy the sport of football, I remain an avid if not rabid fan of high school running as well. One of my big favorites to come up was Craig Forys. He broke all kinds of records for Jersey high schoolers I never thought would be subsequently broken, or at least, not so soon. And yet they were, just a couple years after he graduated. I like to think Forys blazed the trail. I hope that kid goes on to rock it in his last seasons of eligibility in college.

Also in the track world, this Mo Farah guy is great. I don't know if this managed to be the first interview of him I have seem — that would seem rather incongruous with my track love — but what a nice, solid dude. Throw in that I cling to my connection and periodic flaunting of my own British heritage and, right, further incongruous. Rooting for this dude too.

After posting about Groundhog Day, I didn't even bother to see if old Phil saw his shadow. Looking out the window right now though, I believe there is going to be six more weeks of winter. Call it a hunch. But at least there are good things to do indoors (traipsing through the snow is fun too), like, if you are in Chicago, to check out this exhibit of Vivian Maier's photography. This has been getting some press in big time news sources like the New York Times and was on the local news here. I've already pointed it out to a few folks. If you can't make it to that, at least check out the dude's blog with a bunch of photos posted. Truly awesome and emotive.

I don't know who I even want to win this Super Bowl, maybe the Packers? But, after saying I wasn't down with Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow", I gotta say, I like it, especially for repping his home town. Pittsburgh just keeps getting on the map, a funny term, since I'm pretty sure it's always been on the map, nomsayin'?

Right then, have yourselves an excellent Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.