There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Birthday Blogging

I intended to post in here a couple of days ago and call this "Spring Break," but it appears spring has gone on break, with a sprinkling of snow on the roof of the abandoned Pizza Hut building when I awoke yesterday morning, and today a delightful 37° and rainy. But hey, that's how it goes sometimes with the weather. In fact, when I visited Chicago for the first time almost exactly two years ago, the weather was cold, wet, and dreary. I still chose to move here and I'm still very happy with the decision. Of course, nor would I mind if things spontaneously got warm again, just not too warm, since I sweat easily.

With regard to my rising age but stagnant maturity level, I suggest a listen of Devendra Banhart's "I Feel Just Like a Child." The video, I must say, is not my favorite, but the sentiment of dancing about in only boxer briefs is the right idea for how my mind/lifestyle goes. For whatever reason I have spent a couple of minutes each day in April looking at the celebrity birthdays of the day and a recent one was that of Olivia Hussey, who may have represented the first and last boobs I saw in a classroom (excepting perhaps Health class), when she starred in Franco Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet."

Though that story line follows teenage love (hey, life expectancy was lesser in Shakespeare's Day, and anyway Conor Oberst was crooning about heartbreak at 13), I still find it strange whenever young actors are, well mature. I found this interview with Hussey and co-star Leonard Whiting quite intriguing. For one, Hussey smokes on camera, and the reporter chides her for it. For another, young Leonard Whiting looks a Hell of a lot like Zach Efron or, I should say, vice versa. And then I think what I might have acted like in an interview at that age. At 17 I did tell the now defunct UPN morning news my views on grinding at high school dances. And yes, I wish I had the footage to laugh at in private.

And since my body is rather mashed up, I'll use that as a weak segue to the popular mash-up genre of music. Thanks, as always, to the human internet, I was apprized of this Don McLean meets Florence + the Machine effort. I'm a fan. Also, this video has been making the rounds. It wasn't long ago that I was remembering how dope Yo-Yo Ma was, but I'd never realized the skill of "Lil Buck" until seeing that. Subsequently I viewed many of his videos and they do not disappoint. It just might make me feel a shade inadequate in my ability to use my body (Hell, I struggle enough running in straight lines), but mostly I can just marvel at what the man can do.

I judge that is probably enough words for the moment. In the interest of a much talked about celebrity also born on this day if, in five years, I've managed to get 1/37 as much recognition (or even derision) for one of my pursuits, as old James Franco, I can think of worse things. Stay fresh.

1 comment:

  1. Olivia Hussey was fine as fuck back in the day. Not so much now...probably the cigs (I'll quit when I'm ready dammit!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.