There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

[Un]Sound Decisions

One of these might be that I recently ventured back to running. I was getting antsy with the lay-off and lack of improvement in my leg/foot health and since I was feeling all not physically fit I hobbled out the door for a few miles a few times now. But what I'm really getting at is a little sonic analysis akin to what I have done some times here in the past. Namely, some songs end up sounding like other songs. It can be that there is the same producer, it can be coincidence of a finite number of chords, and it can even be subconscious borrowing. The same is a fear of mine in joke-telling and why I don't listen to or watch as much comedy as I might. Nobody — well, I shouldn't say nobody, but most people, don't want to be joke thieves. That's the performance-enhancing drug (PED) of the comedy world. This goes on in countless realms and I try to steer clear if at all possible.

So when on my iTunes a certain song came on, that certain song being Ryan Adams' "Burning Photographs," I noticed that the prevailing chord sounds an awful lot like the famous riff to that mid-90's King Missile classic "Detachable Penis". I don't mind much because I love to be reminded of that song.

Soon after, a certain Gaslight Anthem song was playing, and I thought it was a Brand New track. Admittedly this one may not be as close as I originally thought but when "We Came to Dance" started playing, the opening and persistent riff, struck me as suspiciously similar to that of Brand New's "Logan to Government Center. Actually, it's as if the ordering of notes if slightly different, although I think it comes out better at about that moment. Admittedly (how many times can I say admittedly?), the arrangement sounds fairly similar to "Jude Law and the Semester Abroad," and maybe another song too that I am too lazy to link.

I shared a moment with an old man on the train, a few weeks back now, that I am recollecting as my foot throbs. He was on crutches and just began to speak to me about his surgeries and how he nearly lost his foot. There seemed to be a relief in his telling the story, and I was happy to listen, at which point I shared that I had undergone four surgeries and my body is still not operating on premium. But thank modern medicine that I can go at all.

In pretty chill news, the podcast I've been doing for a good eight months or so (I mean good as an estimator, but I promise some of the material is good too) got mention in TimeOut Chicago. The photo-featured fellows of WoodSugars are recent friends (and did a crossover on RyeBread) and excellent gents that I hope to collaborate with a good deal in the future. I actually aim to not make this blog too personal or boring, but every now and then I will drop things from my regular old life in here. Soon I will complain about complainers complaining about being complained about. Or something like that...

Oh thank heaven, it's 4/7/11...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.