There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Monday, January 11, 2010

If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say...

Then just start a blog and/or become a controversial radio/TV analyst/anchor/broadcaster/personality. Man, one sentence in and there's more slashes than a Friday the 13th movie. Couple that with the joke from that sentence and things aren't exactly off to a swimming start here in 2010 at this place. Have I become even more self-aware over here? Certainly possible.

In the spirit of keeping up with current events as I alluded to in my resolutions, I at least have been following sports news. This morning that included a development in the Jayson Williams manslaughter case. I probably could have put several slashes after "manslaughter" as it certainly isn't the only tag associated with the bizarre circumstances of the 2002 incident. Toying with a loaded gun in the backseat of your limo, maybe that isn't that bizarre. And if you read about Williams' periodic (alleged) suicidal tendencies and a recent drunk-driving charge it is one more set of stories about why I am glad I am not famous. How often do we perform a cost-benefit analysis on fame?

And I must admit, I kind of liked Jayson Williams after reading his autobiography of sorts entitled Loose Balls. I understand that someone helped him write it and he had a whole marketing team on his side, but it was a fun quick read with, I thought, some good insights and, of course, I love the punny title. One of the more amazing aspects of this whole thing to me, though, is that this all took place in 2002, and they have only just begun sentencing now in 2010. Had I shot someone eight years ago I am pretty sure I'd already be doing my time but perhaps not. I won't pretend to have intimate knowledge of the judicial system, nor can I comment on what must be a strange eight years of legal limbo.

I think I was going to make this like funnier in 2010. So I'll work on that but, in the meantime, I am loving the shit out of this video. It's thirteen minutes, done entirely in CG and, yeah, it just kicks ass.

Official Happy New Year's to you, world, though I have a feeling you started counting at a less arbitrary point than we did.

1 comment:

  1. You're right to think that Jayson Williams (sorry, no idea who he is, but I'll google it) should have gone to jail (or not if ruled "not guilty") years ago. What has this world come to when they keep a murderer out of jail for eight years? I personally don't understand this.
    And on another note, I think your blog may come off as kind of serious at first, but it has a certain sarcastic undertone that only someone as dark humored as I would pick up. So don't fret too much about making it funnier. I, at least, am enjoying it just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.