There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

All Is Quiet

Second things first: Happy New Year to all those reading and to those who don't as well. First things second then, a New Year's joke related to the fact that this is being read and written on a computer screen. I present my New Year's resolution: 1280x1024. Actually I think mine is actually 1280x864, but you get the joke right? Oh man, it's nice to know that in 2008 I am just as funny as 2007. Apologies to the two people already subjected to this joke should they be reading.

I know between my last post and now there are plenty of things to cover but I'll stick to today's events while they are fresh in my mind. Today I had some compartment testing. I'd had this done in the past to test for an affliction known as chronic exertional compartment syndrome. If it interests you, well, mayoclinic sums it all up pretty damn well there. So it had been about four years since I'd had this testing done, so I had forgotten what it really felt like. I did recall that last time they shaved patches out of my lower legs before testing the pressures with a needle and so I was all prepped to look like a strategically shaved monkey again, but alas not this time. Turns out the guy who did it last time did it for no good reason.

Anyway, they inject some fluid into each of three compartments: anterior, lateral, and posterior (technically there are two posterior compartments, but are you really that interested?) and then test the baseline pressure. The pressure is checked again after exercise and then, once more, after about five minutes of rest. I fully admit to being a wussy around needles, but this is different. Because the needle is actually plunged into the muscles in each compartment, well, you feel the needle poking around. I honestly don't remember it being that bad last time, but this time I was limping about afterwards because it made all the muscles feel stiff and overworked. Only the left leg was tested, but I think I should have opted to have both legs done just so that I might have fallen over when I got up. Really though, when they do that deep posterior compartment you feel like they are yanking at the fibers all along your calf muscles. I don't know how the junkies can do it. Delicious.

I hope everyone's settling into 2008 nicely and I'd like to remind you all that I am still taking donations for legs, but only below the knee. High five.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.