There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Postum

Postum, the Marmite of beverages, is apparently off the market as of this past Winter. I only mention this as I post from my parents' kitchen where an empty jar looks lonely on the counter. I never actually tasted the stuff, but my mom would drink it as a caffeine-free warm beverage alternative to tea. It always looked like murky dishwater to me. So pour some out for Postum.

Since, as I was mentioning not long ago, I am out of the loop on current music, I lucked out when my girlfriend told me about a couple of new artists to take note of. The first was Yael Naim who sounds almost exactly like Leslie Feist, both of whom shot to much greater fame after their appearances in Mac product commercials. Thing is, because I watch so little TV, I actually hadn't, and haven't, seen the Macbook Air ad that features Naim's hit. If you go back a few posts, you'll see that I did in fact know about the Macbook Air at least.

The other artist brought to my attention was Vampire Weekend. I immediately thought of this, or any OK Go song for that matter. But I like OK Go, so I went ahead and listened to some more of the Undead Weekenders as I think they should have named themselves, even though the context would then be altered. So I gave "Mansard Roof" a listen and this time it seemed to channel the Arctic Monkeys. Incidentally, "arctic" is a pretty funky word when you think about it, at least to me. Finally, when I made it to "M79" it really sounded so much like The Magic Numbers. On an eleven track album these dudes managed to sound like at least three bands I already sort of liked and so, while they might not win originality points, I'm going to go ahead and give the album a B- thumbs up. And that, folks, is why I don't write musical reviews.

Tomorrow° I will deconstruct the overuse of the word "sexy."


Postum, in memoriam.


°yes, that's a degree symbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.