There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Monday, February 18, 2008

A Plague o' Both Your Houses

When it comes to things like the flu, generally I am pretty lucky. In fact, in all my years I don't think I'd ever come down with it. My most serious illnesses included a brief bout with strep throat and a prolonged battle with unconfirmed mono that came right on its heels.

As it is, when sensitive skin and a bit of the chills descended on me Friday after work, I decided it couldn't be anything too serious, and that I'd still be going out to enjoy a few pints with friends. I warned everyone I came into contact with that I had the plague, and I can only hope that I have not infected anyone else. The foolishness of having any alcohol when the body is fighting off illness is quite apparent, but consumption of 6+ pints and a skunky Negro Modelo Especial nightcap leaves my idiocy without question. Maybe I thought the poisons of alcohol would kill off the poisons of my virus? Surely that was it. And when I attempted the hot toddy cure Saturday evening my body, in its diminished and malnourished (I've had little to no appetite) state, quickly descended into a realm that was surely related to drunkenness, but not one I was ever familiar with. Honestly, even without knowing the specific feelings associated, I would liken it to rohypnol aka roofies. I literally could not have fought to stay awake or move my limbs and had I not been in the safety of my parents' home, it would have been frightening. Hell even then it was frightening.

When I finally buckled down and took my temperature on Saturday around 5:30, it was a whopping 103.7°. Now I am generally a warm-bodied and excessively sweaty individual but this seemed extreme. As it turns out, according to this CNN health article, I probably should have gone to a doctor. But pumping fluids and acetaminophen slowly things seem to have returned to safe levels (current fever in the 100-101 range). The craziest aspect for me was the dreams I had Saturday evening where I was convinced I had to solve some puzzle even though I had no idea what the puzzle was. I can't describe it to you at all because I was clearly hallucinating. I would pretty much awaken hourly, either sweating or freezing, looking at the clock and thinking I was running out of time to solve the puzzle. I could tell I was seeing nominal improvement when this morning my dreams involved my typical "what I am going to do with my life/what will the future hold fears." Sometimes those day-to-day anxieties can be a comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.