There are so many intelligent and articulate people covering the hard-hitting
issues in our country these days, that I felt it was my duty to cover the
rather inconsequential bullshit that tends to make up the vast majority of
our lives. Actually, I'll just be griping a lot which, if you weren't aware,
doubles as a synonym for complaining, and as a descriptor for
a sharp pain in the bowels.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Philosophy, Celebrity, Mediocrity and Maybe Some Other Words Ending in "y"

I'd been meaning to drop an entry for a good while now, as is generally the case, but each time the thoughts are pretty disjointed and I want them to be a cohesive unit so I just sort of forget about it and write nothing, which is funny because my writing never really sticks to one topic or even a series of related topics anyway.

Do you have those moments where you wish you were carrying around a notebook so that, when you had a good idea, you could write it down and come back to it later? This has several flaws for yours truly: 1) I have said notebooks, in the form of moleskins, the quintessential "I want to be a writer notebook," (or if you don't over-think and over-judge things like me, just a good notebook), and I never remember to write shit down in them; 2) when I write something down, by and large I forget to come back to it later; this is a mild off-shoot of procrastination; and 3) whenever I forget a thought I am always convinced it was the most earth-shattering shit I and, sometimes, anyone has come up with. If these are written down, I am confronted by their lack of genius (which I was spelling "genious" initially, a sure sign of a lack thereof). For me at least, whenever I go and read a book I also tend to be confronted by the reality that some really smart old dude said it somewhere between fifty and one-hundred and fifty years prior to me, give or take a few centuries and, to further rub it in, said it much more eloquently.

I was chatting with a friend earlier about celebrities and more the idea of celebrity oh-so-briefly and I wanted to drop it down here as well. Celebrity is such a strange thing. Things like fashion trends fall in line well with this, as I find myself constantly fascinated by the definition and conception of cool and/or hip, with heavy emphasis on conception. I really do wonder why certain folks, folks like Cisco Adler become famous. To be honest I know who he is because I like to check those celebrity rag sites from time-to-time. He is the frontman to Whitestarr, a band I'd never heard of, but better known for dating various celebrities including Paris Hilton, another "Why are you famous?" The real reason both are famous is, of course, rather obvious: celebrity begats celebrity, or celebrity birthright if you will. But these days I am trying to a) not be overly judgmental and/or sound bitter/curmudgeonly and b) be familiar with something/someone before I pass judgment. In reference to 'a,' I have no desire to be famous myself, I value the rare bits of privacy I have as it is; I am fueled less by jealousy and much more by bewilderment and befuddlement. As for 'b,' I gave Whitestarr a listen today and I came to the following conclusion: their music sucks, and Adler is tone deaf. I am fairly certain I might rather listen to 30 Seconds to Mars. To each his own.

On a promotional note, I stumbled across photos posted by some guy Bradley Wilford over in the UK while looking for something else entirely and was a big fan of what I saw. Who doesn't like cool photographs? If you have a chance check it out.

That's quite enough for the moment, but before I go, here is my own photographic contribution, courtesy of Photo Booth. This is my leg from a couple of days back, before I was given anti-fungal meds that are bad for my liver. As my boy Elliot Carver would say, "Delicious."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by…you stay classy Planet Earth.